PASRR Rule Affects Submission of the ODM 3622; ODM Announces Webinars
The Ohio Department of Medicaid (ODM), the Ohio Department of Developmental Disability (DODD) and the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) will be conducting three (3) webinars in December that will focus on the Preadmission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR) rule changes that will be effective December 30, 2019. Each webinar will contain the same information.
The webinars have been scheduled for:
- Thursday, December 5, 2019 from 10:30am – 12pm; click here to register
- Monday, December 9, 2019 from 1pm – 2:30pm; click here to register
- Friday, December 13, 2019 from 10am – 11:30am; click here to register
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Last week’s edition of The Source noted that ODM had shared a memorandum advising PASSPORT Administrative Agencies, Hospital Discharge Planners, Nursing Facilities, and the Ohio Association of County Boards of Developmental Disabilities who are involved in receiving and processing PASRR form (ODM 3622) of the upcoming rule changes affecting the submission of the ODM 3622. A new rule set to take effect on December 30 includes a new requirement that PASRR forms be submitted electronically via the Healthcare Electronic Notification System (HENS).
ODM provides the following information on the Long Term Care Providers webpage under Preadmission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR):
PASRR is a federal requirement mandating that individuals seeking admission to a Medicaid-certified nursing facility be screened for indications of serious mental illness and/or developmental disability prior to admission, and then again on a systematic basis following a significant change in their condition.
The purpose of PASRR regulations is to ensure that individuals with long-term care needs are placed in the setting that is most appropriate for their needs. Nursing facilities are ultimately responsible for ensuring that PASRR requirements have been met prior to facility admission. More information about PASRR in Ohio can be found in the following resources:
- Preadmission Screening and Resident Review Training - An introduction to the basics and requirements of PASRR. This training provides a broad overview of the PASRR process in the state of Ohio.
- Most Common Scenarios Chart: PASRR and Level of Care (LOC) - This tool can be used to determine what form needs to be processed for an individual seeking nursing facility admission or currently residing in a nursing facility related to PASRR and LOC.
- PASRR Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) - Find information about webinars, Frequently Asked Questions, national reports, federal laws and regulations and sample tools related to PASRR.
The following state agencies also provide PASRR resources and information on their websites. The information found on the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services and the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities websites is specific to serious mental illness and developmental disabilities, respectively.
- Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
- Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities
ODM has asked that all questions related to PASRR be sent to the ODM PASRR mailbox at PASRR@medicaid.ohio.gov.