April 16, 2019
National Healthcare Decisions Day
National Healthcare Decisions Day exists to inspire, educate and empower the public and providers about the importance of advance care planning.
National Healthcare Decisions Day is an initiative to encourage individuals to express their wishes regarding healthcare and for providers and facilities to respect those wishes, whatever they may be.
LeadingAge Ohio joins in these efforts to educate consumers on the importance of advance care planning.
The decisions a person makes regarding their healthcare and treatment preferences at the end of life are extremely important. While living wills and advance directives are vital, the conversations around these decisions and choices are also crucial. We recommend completing these forms and viewing the Living Will and Health Care Power of Attorney documents as tools for having meaningful advance care planning conversations with your healthcare provider and family members.
Choices: Living Well at the End of Life is an advance directives packet that consists of resources to help you plan for end of life care. Included in this packet you will find the following official advance directive forms and detailed information:
- Living Will (LW) document enables you to decide in advance the type of care you would want if you were to become permanently unconscious or terminally ill and unable to
- Donor Registry Enrollment Form for “Anatomical Gift” to be filed with the Ohio Bureau of Motor
- Health Care Power of Attorney (HCPOA) form enables you to select someone to make decisions for you should you be unable, at any time, to communicate your
- Explanation of Do Not Resuscitate Order (DNR) (a signed physician DNR order) informs healthcare personnel that you do not wish to be resuscitated in the event of a cardiac or respiratory arrest
- Explanation of hospice care and services along with answers to frequently asked questions
For a printable copy of the complete advance directive booklet and companion guide:
- Download Choices: Living Well at the End of Life (7th edition pdf)
You can also order the advance directive booklet online.
LeadingAge Ohio members can order multiple copies of the booklet and receive a discount in pricing through your LeadingAge Ohio membership. Consider having your logo printed on the cover as an additional way to promote your organization as a true community partner by offering this important booklet to the residents, patients and families you serve every day.